Sunday 11 March 2012

Kinda Obsessed; The Hunger Games

Hey Girlies! How are you all today? It has been really sunny today, and so I am in a good mood!

Today as part of my 'Kinda Obsessed' mini series, I am going to review The Hunger Games. This book series was a phenomenal read, and I would recommend it to anyone, although on thing about the book, it is very violent and almost bloodthirsty- if you do not like books with violence, death and fighting, then this book is unfortunate not for you.

First I will start off by introducing the books. The series consists of three books entitled The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, and were written by Suzanne Collins. The storyline goes a little something like this;
'The Hunger Games introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood. This is where a powerful government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to fight to the death. The Hunger Games exist to demonstrate not even children are beyond the reach of the Capitol's power.
As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected at random and forced to participate in the Hunger Games, a televised event in which the participants, or "tributes", must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains.'

I must admit that The Hunger Games is not my kind of book. Usually I prefer a teenage romance(the Wolves of Mercy Falls series is truly excellent) or a fantastical fictional vampire novel( I am currently reading the 4th book in the Blue Bloods series), however, much to my surprise I honestly enjoyed the hunger games tremendously. I devoured all three book within the space of five days, and promptly lent them all out to friends whom I begged to read them; "you won't regret it," I said. And none of them have.

I adore Collins' writing style. She uses amazing descriptions and her imagination is obviously colossal. I really felt like the world of Panem was here, and I scared me a little, what a tortuous place, a new threat around every corner. I love most of the characters, especially Peeta, Katniss's on and off(on her part) boyfriend. Obviously there had to be a love interest in the books somewhere- a love triangle in this series! However I really don't like Katniss that much. In the novels( written I point of view) she is always so full of hate an poison. Although, when thinking about what she had been through, how could you blame her?

I really do adore these books, and I have read hundreds. There is just something about them that keeps you hooked, but in a good way. Also there I to be a film adaptation of the books too. The Hunger Games movie is to be released on the 23rd March 2012, and my friends an I have hastily booked tickets before they sell out. But don't go and see the movie without reading the books first! They really are worth your time.

If you do read, or have read The Hunger Games tell me what you think in the comments, also i you have any questions, ask away.

Have a nice start to the week!
Jenny xx

No comments:

Post a Comment