Tuesday 13 November 2012

Winter Warmers; Make The Perfect Winter Lattes


I have a confession- I hate coffee. I know that some of you big coffee drinkers will be gasping right now. I just hate they way that it tastes. .But, I like the way it smells. So, you could say that it surprised me when I bought a gingerbread Starbucks latte on a Christmas late night shopping evening last year, and I liked it, a lot.

I found myself at the counter of Starbucks buying this overpriced, but delicious drink, and I after drinking it I knew two things. 1. That even though it was coffee, it was so yummy, and 2. That I knew there was a way to recreate this amazing-ness a a fraction of the cost.


I found these delicious recipes on this website, and I thought that they looked too nice not to share. I'm going to write the recipe for one of the most tasty sounding, and by the look of what my friends were consuming like crazy last year, popular drink, a peppermint mocha latte.



To make this latte, you first need a peppermint syrup. You can actually buy this, and may other flavoured syrups, in coffee shops like Costa and Starbucks. But nothing beats a good DIY project, especially when you make something that can go in a cute bottle or jar!

Here's how to make it;
Ingredients: 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
Directions: In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir constantly until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to three months. This serving size is supposed to last for 5-7 servings(i.e drinks), but I think that it can last for a lot longer than this. It can be used for more than 10 drinks in my opinion, but maybe I'm just stingy.

And now you've got the syrup, it's time to make the drink!
Here is the recipe;

Homemade Peppermint Mocha
Ingredients:
1 cup milk, steamed
1 cup very strong coffee, made however you like, instant or even from a machine
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of sugar
2-3 tablespoons peppermint syrup 
Whipped cream (optional)
Chocolate Syrup (optional)
Crushed Peppermints (optional)

Directions:
1. Prepare your hot water in a kettle, and make your coffee like you would normally, but keep it black. We are going to add the milk next.

2. In a pot, heat up one cup of milk until it is steaming. Froth the milk with a wire whisk or an immersion blender until it is nice and foamy.

3. In your coffee cup, mix together the prepared coffee, cocoa powder, sugar, and peppermint coffee syrup until the sugar and cocoa powder are dissolved and there are no lumps. Pour the milk foam over the top of the coffee/mocha mixture and stir to incorporate. Top with whipped cream, a generous drizzle of chocolate syrup, and crushed peppermints.

This would make a really cute DIY Christmas gift as well. You could make someone a cute little jar of syrup, and combine it with some coffee granules, peppermint candycanes, and a festive mug in a cute basket with some shredded wrapping paper, tied with a cute ribbon.



(This just sounds freaking delicious!)








What is your favourite winter drink?
Jenny xx








No comments:

Post a Comment