Tuesday 12 March 2013

How To: Contour and Highlight

Everyone wants a thin face. Not necessarily a gaunt, anorexic looking one, but a thin, chiseled face with those supermodel cheekbones. Contouring, highlighting and blushing are your new best friends from now on. Here's how to use them:
Below is an image of the face, marked with where your highlights and contouring should be. Obviously, the white is a highlight, and the brown is contours. In the space on the cheeks between the contouring and the highlight, you should apply the blush. 

This image is very advanced. I don't have a lot of time in the mornings, and I only contour and highlight maybe 1/3 of what this picture is showing. I like to run a bronzer under my cheekbones and chin, and onto my temples. I use a contour brush for the application of the product, but then I use a fluffy brush to blend it out. I could blend with the contour brush, but it takes longer, and as I said, I don't have time.

In terms of highlight, I find that if i applied as much highlight as in the picture, then I would look like a disco-ball. I like to apply my highlight sparingly, and only onto the tops of my cheekbones and up to my temples(only a bit). I find that this gives my face a subtle glow without looking tacky or shiny.

I apply my blush onto the tops of my cheeks. I think that I may have mentioned this before, but you should never apply blush onto the apples of your cheeks when you are smiling. When you are not smiling(i.e the rest of the day with a normal face), your blush drags down your face. However, if you apply blush onto the tops of your cheeks and outwards, your makeup will look youthful.
while this routine does sound like a lot of effort, it is worth it, and I can tell a difference in my face when I don't bother with this routine.

 Bronzer(Countouring)

The only cheap high street contour powder that I have found is MUA's Bronzed Perfection bronzer. This is a matte bronzer, which is why it is goof for contouring, however I would like something a bit more grey toned(to create a more realistic shadow). I apply this product with a Real Techniques Contour brush,and blend it with a big fluffy brush(this one is from Primark).

Highlight

I use the Sleek Glo highlight powder (the whitest shade), and a small fluffy brush from Claire's(I know, weird).

Blush


























This blush is a gorgeous bright coral shimmery blush from Me Me Me, and the small brush is from Forever  21, but is similar to the Claire's one.

Cream Blush

My favourite cream blush is my limited edition Louise Grey for Topshop one. It's called Up In The Air. I use a Real Techniques buffing brush to apply this, but only because I haven't had time to get the Real Techniques stippling brush(which is apparently a lifesaver when applying cream blush.)

I hope this has helped you to achieve total face perfection, I would love to know what product you have found for contouring, and blush; leave me a comment!

Jennifer xx








No comments:

Post a Comment